Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sustainability in Practice- Do-It-Yourself Composting

About 1/3 of household garbage is food waste!

While college students tend to be a little more careful about the food they throw away, I am always blown away at how little my friends care about saving leftovers. I save all my leftovers. My mom is the same way so that is probably where it comes from but I cannot stand to throw food away! Not only is this basically like throwing out money, when food ends up in landfills it lets methane gas into the environment as it decomposes which is a harmful green house gas.

One simple and environmentally responsible alternative is to start your own compose bin at home. By composting you eliminate waste that would otherwise end up in a landfill and your generate a material that is a nutrient rich fertilizer that is non-toxic and completely environmentally friendly.

Check out this link to see how to start your own at-home compost bin! http://www.ehow.com/how_4733853_start-compost-bin.html

No comments:

Post a Comment