Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sustainability in Practice- What motivates you?

This morning, as I put my recycling bins out on the curb for pick up, I couldn't help but notice that only about 1/3 of the houses within my view were utilizing Pullman's recycling service. It is provided free of charge with garbage pick up and only takes a little bit of extra effort! I know many of my friends don't recycle just because of that little bit of extra effort but come on!


Here are some interesting facts about how big of a difference recycling can make from recycling-revolution.com


Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to run a TV for three hours -- or the equivalent of a half a gallon of gasoline.


An aluminum can that is thrown away will still be a can 500 years from now!


Recycling a single run of the Sunday New York Times would save 75,000 trees.


Plastic bags and other plastic garbage thrown into the ocean kill as many as 1,000,000 sea creatures every year!


A modern glass bottle would take 4000 years or more to decompose -- and even longer if it's in the landfill.


The above list is just a few stats I pulled from the list. Check out the full list at http://www.recycling-revolution.com/recycling-facts.html. We want to know what motivates you, or keeps you from being unmotivated to recycle! A little effort from you can make a huge difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment